May 26, 2012

Baby Steps

I read a post earlier this week about baby steps, and well, Steve and I are taking some of our own. We go to have a pretty good little chat last night after we went to bed. And so far, this is shaping up to be a much better weekend than last. Which if you read my last post, you know that's a good thing. Last weekend was way too emotionally charged and upsetting and I hope that there is not a repeat anytime soon.

So we talked, and maybe just maybe we're going to give this DD thing another go a little sooner than we thought. Last week he had said that he was going to do things to earn my trust so that I could trust him to lead us in this new dynamic. At the time, I felt like it was a cop-out. He didn't give any specifics to me as to how he was planning to do this. And besides that, to me, there's a little element of a "leap of faith"  if you will to any trust building exercise. It isn't going to just happen. We aren't going to just sit back and magically one day DD has happened and we're great at it. It's got to be more intentional than that. And last night, I was able to tell him these things-without crying, without getting mad, without yelling and questioning his abilities. And it was actually a good conversation.

Maybe this seems elementary to some of you, but for me, it really made me realize first hand just how differently men and women communicate. And how he really does shut down in the face of all my emotions. I think they scare him. And don't tell him, but in reality, sometimes they scare me too. But being able to talk calmly about all of this last night was so good. He says that we'll start slowly, with just a couple of things and build from there. Even though I'm impatient and part of me wants it all now (Well, actually five minutes ago) I'm starting to realize that simply isn't going to happen. So now, we'll see what happens. Hopefully I'll have another good update soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment